Friday, April 3, 2009

Spring Break, Day 1

I can't believe it's Spring Break already. This school year (and I know I say this every year but it's exquisitely true) is flying by so quickly. I can't seem to hold on to the days!
We all slept in this morning. I typically am up by 5:30am most mornings so staying in bed until 9am is a luxury. The boys were up around the same time, and were able to take their time eating, etc.
One of the things I love about having sons so close in age is the comradery they share most of the time. As they were getting breakfast, all three so thrilled to NOT be in school, they joked and played around, giving one another a hard time and just wallowing in their personal freedoms. As a mom, it's awesome to hear them building their relationships in such an ordinary way.
I have a very different relationship with all of my siblings. My older brother wasn't around much when I was growing up as he lived with his father. My younger brother was so MUCH younger (9 years) that it was more like having a child of my own and my little sister literally is the same age as my middle son so that's pretty self-explanatory.
I always envied those I knew who were close with their families, especially siblings.
It warms my heart to hear my sons interacting. That's not to say it's always rainbows and butterflies because that couldn't be further from the truth! We have days where they scrap like puppies, bickering over the tiniest bit of space/Lego/detail/game and I'd like nothing more than to Duct-tape their mouths and find a very large closet to put them into. However, for the most part, they get along well and we're blessed.
It's been a fairly laidback day. We went to the library, stopped on our way home at the produce market and bread store and have spent most of the day vegging. My oldest was supposed to have his first home tennis match this afternoon but it was cancelled due to the rain.
Our area has been enduring April showers alllll day and I'm sure it would have made for an interesting match. I wonder if it's possible to hydroplane in sneakers on a tennis court?
Hubby didn't make it to bed this morning after work and has been sleeping on the couch, which means we have to tiptoe through the living room to move through the house. *sigh* Aggravating.
He's in a better mood. I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I wonder if he has a secret drug problem or something that I could blame for his mood swings but then I remind myself that there would be other signs if it were something like that. I have a feeling he needs mood stabilizers but he'd never, ever in a million years see a therapist for something like that. His family is VERY adamant that nothing like mental illness could EVER be in their perfect family. Admitting that it might would show weakness, something they'd rather die than do. Getting him into marriage counseling was hard enough, literally because I told him he'd have to move out otherwise. I don't think I could ever talk him into seeking help for just himself because then he'd have to accept that HE was the problem. *repeat sigh*
With the tennis schedule and the younger two boys' Scouting, we're not going anywhere for Spring Break but I'm okay staying home. It's going to afford me a little extra time to try to catch up on housework and decluttering, since I won't have to be running all over Hell and back playing taxi service and doing PTO things. I'm looking forward to Freecycling some of the crap that's taking up space in this house and just collecting dust! Right this second, however, I'm most looking forward to curling up with some of my new library books and enjoying our Slug Day.
Yay for Slug Days!

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

we didn't have a spring break this year... we had to make up snow days... sooo not fair.. I could take a vegging out day for sure!