Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I need a break

This has been a heck of a month. I'm fried.
More family drama (briefly: younger brother choked my mother 3 times, held a knife to her bf's throat and I got a call in the middle of the night from a deputy asking if mom and sis could come stay with me until they found him). Both brothers are in the county jail, one for not paying fines, the other as a result of assaulting my mother.
Younger Brother's Baby Mama called and asked if I'd take their 2 yr old to visit her daddy in the jail as she was not dealing well with the complete lack of contact. Baby Mama couldn't take her because a) she's pregnant and due this week to give birth to his second daughter and b) she has an outstanding warrant as well.
*sigh*
So it was family reunion time at the jail. Mom visited my older brother, I toted a 2 yr old (against my better judgement!!) in to visit her daddy. Joy. Joy and happiness.
I was very uncomfortable with taking my niece into the jail because honestly, I don't think that kiddos need to know what that's like. My mother used to drag my brother and I to visit my stepfather in prison and honestly, that's an education I wish I could have avoided.
Gah.
Life at Home is...down again. Hubby is grumpy and grumbly and hypercritical. I'm so tired of trying to buffer his nasty attitude for everyone. When he went to Texas for that week to visit Michael...it was the most peace I've had in 10 years. For one glorious week, I didn't have to walk on eggshells, I didn't have to ask permission, I could breathe and not worry about what sort of mood he was going to be in when I came home. It was such a looser atmosphere here and truthfully, when he came home, it felt like I'd been living with the windows open and someone slammed them all shut on me. Stifling.
PTO is killing me. I have a treasurer who's stepping up to be president next year and is stepping on toes already, some of them mine. I'm just trying to keep my head above water, organizationally speaking, for the next two months and then I'm done. It's been rewarding but it's also been very time consuming and sometimes, very trying. People, unfortunately, can be assholes!
The boys are wonderful. They are the biggest blessings in my life.
Bran is really finding a toehold since he joined tennis. I think he feels a little more comfortable in his skin and that makes me happy for him. Trevor's therapist thinks he might be ready to take a break from therapy for a while. He says that we'll leave the option open to return as transitioning from 6th to 7th grade might be trying for Trev but overall, he's doing well. Ryan was tested for the gifted program and was selected as the only 6th grader from our school to take 9th grade Algebra as a 7th grader next year. This means he'll get a high school credit (in 7th grade) for a math course that counts towards high school graduation. I was blown away!!
They've had their fair share of ups and downs this year as well but for the most part, we've all managed to stay afloat. It's just not the easiest thing in the world to do some days.
I'm so glad Spring is here. I can't wait to get started on my garden (although the boys aren't looking forward to helping me weed it!) and I really need to be outside and away from the clutter in my house for awhile. Or maybe I just need everyone to leave me along IN the house so I can throw out the clutter!!
Maybe both... and a clone or two, too, please!
Still a work in progress, I guess. Doing my best to muddle through.

No comments: