Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Triple bypass

The news back from doctors after my older brother's heart catheter yesterday was not good. He is 95% blocked in his main arterial corridor, 85% and 75% blocked in his ventricles. Kel is facing triple bypass surgery in the next few days. He's all sorts of chaotic feelings right now, which the nurses explained to my mother is very normal: apparently after a heart attack many patients face crazy hormones and chemistry, which causes them to be all kinds of bipolar. Kelly is already bipolar and ADD so this is sending him into a tizzy and they're having a tough time keeping him calm. Mom said yesterday after his cath that they had to stop him from leaving the hospital because he was hellbent on NOT having any surgery. I understand his trepidations, I get that it's a shock but I'm worried he's not thinking clearly. I hope as he adjusts to the situation he calms a little and weathers this. I talked to him last night and he was in turns angry (at the situation, at God, at LIFE), worried (he doesn't want to lose his job, or his house because he's going to be off work for a couple months), scared, and even vain (he's a good looking guy and is disturbed to know they'll be cracking open his chest and leaving a scar! smh). My poor brother is a rainbow of emotions and none of that can help his blood pressure or his poor heart at the moment.
My mom is also a mess, just torn to pieces that there's something wrong with her firstborn and she can't fix it. As a mom myself, I can so understand that. There's nothing worse than seeing your babies in pain and not being able to make it better. Mom also has a very soft spot for my brothers. She'll never admit that but it's truth. They occupy a special place for her.
I think sometimes Life gives us wake up calls, a chance to change our ways or take a different path. A reminder that the purpose of living is to LIVE but not always the way we think.
Heavy heart but hopeful.

No comments: